Sunday 26 February 2012

Home challenge - week 8 -meal planning


Week 8 of the home challenge is meal planning. Around 18 months ago I signed up to a meal planning service Meals by Mel.  This is a great service - Mel provides 5 meals per week, which includes recipes and the shopping list.  This was fantastic as we would have different meals each week - rather than the same old, same old.  In November last year I bought a thermoix so decided I wanted to use this more so decided not to continue with my membership. But after having a meal plan for 18 months I don't think I could go back to shopping without it anymore! 

Now I complete a meal plan prior to undertaking my weekly shop. I plan dinners only, and add in staples like fruit, bread, milk and so on for breakfasts, lunches and snacks. Meal planning for me saves money, waste, time and stress.  It's fantastic not having to worry about what we are going to cook each night!

I will decide on meals based on the food we have already (in particular meat in the freezer and veggies in the fridge), meals I know the kids will eat and I try and mix it up so we are getting a variety of meats and some healthy meals. The kids prefer meals with not so healthy foods such as sausages, so I aim to only have 1 or 2 of these per week. I've been trying to include thermomix recipes and like trying new ones. 




No comments:

Post a Comment