Sunday 20 May 2012

Life challenge - week 20 - revisiting goals

WOW week 20 already. I'm glad this one was about revisiting goals as I've been away for work, then it was my birthday and I had no time to look at anything.  So I'm grateful for a chance to catch my breath. I know I've come a long way, but I've still got a way to go.

In week 6 Deb had us set goals. In week 13 we checked in, and now we are revisiting again.  Update 1 is for week 13, update 2 is for now.

Friendships
Goal: Reconnect with my current friends
Update 1:
Yes I have been making an effort to talk to a friend on the phone or meet face to face.  Still need to continue with this and make sure I do it each week.
Update 2:
It is still one I need to focus on. I do it most weeks, but not all.  I've organised monthly lunches with one friend who I lost contact with but I've let the phone calls slide a bit as life got busy.

We had "new" friends over for dinner on Saturday night. Their son goes to school with my son and their daughter and my daughter are best friends at childcare. This is a friendship I want to encourage and continue.


Health
Goal: Go to bed by 10.30pm at least 4 nights per week (Sun-Wed, the nights I have to work the next day). 
Update 1
Sometimes, but not 4 nights per week. It's my reading that gets me.
Update 2
Hmmm, no change from update 1

Goal: Walk up the stairs at work once, everyday I'm there.
Update 1
Yes, I do this everyday I'm at work. Have it as a task in my calendar and it reminds me until I mark it as completed!
Update 2
Yes - I'm still doing this 4 days per week (my work days)


Goal: Undertake 3-4 exercise sessions per week (mix of gym and treadmill)
Update 1
Not so good on this one.
I walk once a week with a colleague at work, but I've not been so good at getting to the gym or going on the treadmill.  Averaging about once per week.
Update 2
No - I've let this area slide. I'm still walking once per week with my colleague. I'm not renewing my gym membership - but I need to focus on treadmill and exercises at home.

Goal: To brush my teeth twice a day and floss each night.
Update 1
Brushing - yes. Still can't get into flossing regularly.
Update 2
Very similar to last update. I had a dentist appointment last week though, and I'm motivated to get back into flossing. I have done it every night since my appt. in Thursday (only 4 nights - but a start).



Finances
Goal: To not spend more than we earn so we don't feel stressed about money
Update 1
Hmmm, just spent over $1800 on electrical appliances (new fridge and washing machine) and hubby bought a new car. So our finances are looking a little sad. But we do plan for a trip to Thailand this year so need to take another look at the budget to save!
Update 2
Trip to Thailand has been changed to trip to NZ and booked! Finances an area we need to look at!

Home environment
Goal: For our house to be free of CHAOS (as fly lady would say - Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome)
Update 1
I have a cleaner once a fortnight! Yay, the place is lovely those days!
We are getting better at making the kids put their toys away before getting out new ones. Still room for improvement.
I'm still undertaking the 52 week organised home challenge, although am a little behind due to being sick and birthday planning etc. Need to do 2 weeks worth this week.

I've noticed if the kitchen bench is clean and tidy the whole place just feels nicer. I'm making an effort to have this tidy before I go to bed each night.

Update 2
I've let the 52 week organised home challenge slip a bit.  Still have my cleaner and tidying the kitchen each night after dinner. Still lots of clutter and we need to work harder on getting the kids to put toys away.

Family
Goal: Spend quality time together doing things we enjoy (this is from our mission statement)
Update 1
We haven't put "family day" into practice yet. Things have been busy - we need to schedule in and make it a priority. I'm aiming for April (after we get through Easter) for our first family day.

We have started family movie night. Friday night's channel 99 (Go) has a kids movie from 6-7.30pm. We record it and start watching it when we are ready (usually 6.30pm) and then as we fast forward the ads it's usually done around 7.30pm. Just in time for the kids to go to bed.

Update 2
Family day is in practice. I have scheduled the days on our calendar. We went to the beach and playground in April and yesterday we took our family day to the zoo.  It's been great spending quality time together.

Family movie night a bit haphazard now that Hunter has footy until 6pm on Fridays - but we are fitting some in - just going to bed later (more like 8-8.30)

We each say something we are grateful for each night. The kids usually say playing with their friends at school/childcare, but it's great they are getting the idea.


Goal: Focussed time spend with the kids
Update 1
Yes and no. We read to the kids each night, so spend time with them then. But I want to do more, more games, more fun!
Update 2
No change from last update

Goal: Nigel and I to spend time together one night a week
Update
Nope we haven't got to this one yet. Still seems technology or my reading is ruling us!  We have different interests in TV shows so watch independently and then when Nigel wants to chat I'm busy reading. We must make an effort!
Update 2
No change from last update


So it seems I'm kinda going around in circles.  The next month I want to focus on my health/exercise..then move onto time with Nigel.

6 comments:

  1. I think focussing on one goal at a time might help you, it has definitely helped me this week. Baby steps really do stop me from being overwhelmed and giving up.
    Well done on walking up the stairs at work and brushing teeth twice a day. You've definitely made good ground on a lot of your goals
    Jo xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo.
      I'm feeling motivated in some areas - I've flossed everyday since my dentist appt. - nearly 2 weeks!! But demotivated in others - like exercise!

      Delete
  2. I agree that you have been making good ground on many of your goals! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that rather than continuing to try all of these goals you could pick 1 to focus on and make progress - whatever is most important to you - i think your family update is great!!

    deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deb...it seems my focus is flossing...i'm pleased to report I have flossed my teeth everynight for 17 nights and now not game to miss a night and mess with my streak!

    ReplyDelete