Tuesday 24 April 2012

Home challenge-week 17 - cleaning schedule and cleaning supplies

Week 17 is about creating a cleaning routine and organising cleaning supplies. Reading through the post I thought this seems familiar to me - I'm sure I have done this. I had downloaded Taylor's free cleaning checklist in the past so obviously did some work then.  I had a look through my saved files and found on the 14th August 2011 I had created a cleaning checklist.  Both hubby and I work most days so can only fit cleaning in the evening, and therefore want to do the bare minimum.

My previous checklist looks like this:

Cleaning checklist!

DAILY
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Cook dinner







Clear/wipe dinner table







Dishes







Clean hotplates/sink/benches







Make lunches for next day







Pack bags for next day







Get clothes out for next day







Clean up toy room







Tidy floor in family room







Tidy floor in lounge room







Sweep kitchen/family room















Load of washing (if needed)







Fold and put away washing (if needed)















Toilet brush







Clean bathroom sinks       















WEEKLY







Mop tiled floors







Vacuum carpet







Showers







Toilets









































My aim was to try and keep the kitchen clean and tidy, along with the floors in the other main rooms, on a daily basis. This  would then eliminate the need to spend lots of time tidying prior to cleaning. 
I've obviously not been following the checklist and the place has become a little untidy. I'm going to print this out again, stick it on the fridge and my aim is to follow it daily.
I now have a cleaner who comes in once a fortnight, who I didn't have when I wrote this checklist. She does (among other things) toilets, showers, mopping and vacuuming. The things I had as my weekly tasks. I'm happy for these to only happen fortnightly meaning we don't need to do them. Obviously if mopping or vacuuming needs doing in-between our cleaner coming we will do as required.
Our wonderful cleaner actually came on Monday, and hubby went around and did a quick tidy up before she came. This means the house is in pretty good shape now, on Wednesday. If I can stick to the daily tasks - it shouldn't be too hard to keep it like this. My aim for this week(and next) is to consciously complete all tasks on my daily checklist, until they become part of the routine and second nature!
Cleaning supplies
I have 2 main places for my cleaning supplies - under the kitchen sink for all things used around the kitchen, such as easyoff bam and spray and wipe - and in the cupboard in the laundry for all other cleaners such as floor cleaner, bleach, toilet cleaner,shower cleaner and so on. I went through the kitchen cleaners earlier in the year as part of one of the challenges. The laundry sink I went through and decluttered when we got our new washing machine a few weeks ago. So my cleaning supplies are all under control. My cleaner brings her own so don't need to worry about what she uses.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment